Sunday, March 18, 2018

New York Yankees!

New York Yankees

In today's blog, in the spirit of spring training going on, I'm going to be talking about my favorite baseball team: the Yankees!

Once the spring hits, every fan knows that it is time for some baseball! My family and I love to watch the Yankees play. Ever since I was little, I was pretty much brought into the Yankees tradition by my dad; I was never allowed to like another team! That's okay, though, because the Yankees are the best team! In the past, the Yankees were champions. Multiple players on the team such as the great Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Alex Rodriguez led the Yankees to many championships. In total, the Yankees have one 27 World Series Championships! That's a HUGE number! They have won more than any team in the entire league.  The team has always been exceptionally good at the game, but this year is now more important than ever, since they have now gotten a brand new manager and several new players to attribute to the team winning. One of the best new players the team has just debuted last year, Aaron Judge, has been playing SO great! He has really helped the team out big time, and even though they did not make it to the championships, they still made it pretty far in the season. Besides Aaron, Gary Sanchez also hits major home runs that assists the team as well! Besides being really big fans of the team, my family also likes to attend a game when we can. We usually don't mind where we sit, just being at the stadium is so much fun!


Vocabulary:

1. multiple- a larger number of things.
2. debuted- something or someone that premieres for the first time.
3. assist- to help
4. stadium- a big field or area where a sports team might play.
5. tradition- something that you and your family or a big group has been doing for years.
6. attend- to go to
7. exceptional- to be more excellent than a usual person/team
8. manager- someone who has the responsibility to control a company/organization
9. season- time of year
10. major- really big and successful

Vocabulary Exercise 

 Fill in the blanks in the paragraph with the correct words. Use the vocabulary words listed above!


1. My friend helped ________ with my project.
2. ___________ people saw the baseball game.
3. Aaron Judge ________ for the first time on the Yankees in 2017.
4. It took us a long time to get directions to the ___________.
5. My mom has a ___________ where she always cooks on Christmas.
6. You always have to ______ class so you are not marked absent.
7. When you start to work somewhere, you need to listen to your ___________.
8. The ______________ of spring is my favorite!!
9. The teacher was ______________ at her job.
10. I know so many people that have had a ___________ crush on Justin Bieber!!!

Grammar Point

VERBS!

In everyday writing, we are always using verbs. Especially in sports, daily life and even a regular school day; we use them in our conversations all the time too!

Verbs are words that are used to describe an action. They can end in -ING or can come in other forms as well.

For example, in the sentence, "I got so out of breath while I was running to class" and the sentence "I ran to class super fast", the underlined words are both examples of verbs!

Grammar Exercise

Now its your turn!

Underline or highlight the verbs in the story below.


During the night, I was sleeping ever so quietly, but all in one motion, I jolted awake. I heard a super loud noise, so I ran downstairs! I looked out the window to see a silly little racoon scampering away from my garbage can. I laughed and went back upstairs to my room. In the morning, my mom yelled at me to get up and my alarm clock was singing. I groaned and turned over, I did not want to go to school; that raccoon disrupted my sleep! I got up and put on my outfit and headed down the stairs to eat my breakfast. I was chewing my pancakes and sipping my orange juice when my mom broke the news: raccoons were invading my neighborhood! I spat out my juice and ran to the window. There were raccoons everywhere! There was one dancing, one running, two were holding hands and a group of four were playing a game. This was crazy! My mom was calling her friends on the phone to tell them of this absurd news when I heard a knock on our window. It was a raccoon! He smiled at me and waved. I of course SCREAMED! I ran up to my room and hid under my covers. Soon enough, I woke up and realized that all of this craziness was just a dream. 

:)








1 comment:

  1. Good entry! Nice paragraph in the grammar exercise too! It would be quite scary to have that dream come true!

    ReplyDelete