Sunday, March 18, 2018

Easter!

In the spirit of Easter coming up very soon, this post will be all about Easter!!
 Easter is not the same date every year, but it is the same day of the week! It will always fall on the first Sunday after the first full moon that occurs on or after the Spring Equinox. This year, it falls on April 1st. This holiday is a Christian holiday that is celebrated all around the world in many different countries. In the United States, over 81 percent of people celebrate Easter. Traditionally, this is always a fun holiday for children! Kids get a visit overnight from the Easter Bunny (kind of like Santa Claus!) and the bunny hides eggs and gifts all over the child's house for them to receive in the morning. It is so much fun because the bunny hides the eggs so well, you get to go on an Easter egg hunt for them! Besides this, it is a really great holiday for families to get together and celebrate their religion. Also, there are soooo many good foods to enjoy that come in accordance with the holiday, such as, ham, lamb, hot cross buns, carrot cake and Easter egg bread!

Image result for easter  

Vocabulary:
1. Spring Equinox: when the hours of night and day become equal, it brings us Spring and puts an end to Winter!!
2. percent: parts of something out of 100
3. overnight: during the whole of one night.
4. religion: the belief of a higher God or Gods, or a superhuman power.
5. hunt: to search for something
6. receive: to be given
7. besides: as well as
8. holiday: a day of celebration
9. celebrate: to observe a certain happy day/holiday
10. accordance: agreement

Vocabulary Exercise: 
Now your turn! Complete this fun Easter crossword puzzle.
Click on each picture to make them bigger and easier to see.
HINT: all the words used are your vocabulary words listed above!!



Grammar Point
Pronouns Nouns!

We've already learned about proper nouns and regular nouns, so now lets move on to PRONOUNS!

Pronouns are just used in place of a noun to avoid us from repeating ourselves too many times. Like in a sentence, "Judy likes dogs and Judy likes cats", there's no reason to repeat Judy twice.

With the using of a pronoun, here's the sentence that we should say: 
"Judy likes dogs and she likes cats".

So we simply just replaced Judy with the pronoun "she" just so our sentence sounds a little bit better. 

Grammar Exercise
Find and underline the pronoun in each sentence.

1. My friend Sabrina is such a great cook. Her lasagna is amazing!
2. I love to go to school. It is such a fun part of my day.
3. My teacher is such a good listener. She really takes time out of her day to help.
4. I love my dog. He is always there for me when I need him.
5. My name is Alexa. I love to write blogs.
6. My friends and I went to a concert a few weeks ago and we loved it!
7. The boys that are over there are way too loud. Can you say something to them? 
8. I sat with my friends all day but the teacher never stopped watching us.
9. Brianna needs to put away her clothes. Did Brianna ever do it? 
10. I love to watch the show Grey's Anatomy, I hope it starts to get better soon.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post about the Easter holiday! Personally, I am looking forward to celebrating Easter with my family this year. I like that you used a crossword puzzle for your vocabulary exercise. This is a creative way to have students practice spelling vocabulary words and learn their meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Elena is right. This is a nice entry on Easter with all the essential parts.

    ReplyDelete