Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Cheerleading!



My team, the Molloy College Cheerleading Team! (I am on the left side, third person in).



Hi everyone! Thanks for following along with my posts. Today, I am going to post about the sport that I love the most, cheerleading! 

While in the past I took a break from cheerleading to pursue other activities, I have recently found my way back to the sport I enjoy the most. Cheerleading is a high pressure sport, it is all about balance, strength and teamwork.  My team is full of students that are all different age levels, but we all get along so well. My greatest friends on the team are Sam, Jayna and Ciara. They are all younger than me, but we still have so much in common! We have had many laughs together and so many inside jokes. Without them, I would not feel complete on the team! We practice as a team very late at night, from 9:30 to 11pm! But we only practice on Tuesday's and Thursday's. We put on fun performances during halftime of the men's and women's basketball games here at Molloy. It definitely is a lot of fun! We always perform really cool stunts and we always try not to fall! As a team, we definitely have made some mistakes and have fallen down too, but we always get back up and try again. While doing cheerleading makes my schedule super busy, it is worth it to me because I get to enjoy doing something I love to do! 
This is a liberty stunt. I am holding it up on the right!


Ciara, Me and Sam! 




Jayna, Me, and Sam!





















Vocabulary

1. stunt: holding one person up in the air to create a pretty visual in the air!
2. teamwork: being a team, working together, not excluding anyone.
3. performance: putting on a show of a routine and/or something that you have worked on for an audience.
4. basketball: a game that can be played by either men or women, the goal is to get as many points as you can and shoot the ball in the opposing team's hoop.
5. halftime: a break during the game, usually at the half mark.
6. practice: to brush up or work on a skill.
7. schedule: a list of events/things that you need to do. 
8. pressure: a feeling of stress or nervousness during an activity.
9. balance: to stay straight or upright.
10. strength: to be able to do something or lift something that is very heavy.

Vocabulary Exercise 
Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word.

1. When you are on a team, you have to expect that a lot of ___________ will be included!
2. Sometimes, teams can meet up to four or five times a week just to ________.
3. My __________ is always filled with tons of homework!
4. It takes a lot of ____________ to lift up other people into the air.
5. Do you have good _________ when you are walking down the stairs?
6. School sometimes puts ____________ on students.
7. My favorite sport is _______, it is so much fun to be out on the court!
8. I wrote a really great poem and was able to put on a _____________ for my class.
9. During ____________, we can go and get some snacks so we don't miss the game.
10. Did you see that _______? It was so cool!

Grammar Point
Proper Nouns!

Many proper nouns were used in my paragraph, but there is also many that are used in our daily lives.

Proper nouns are nouns that name a particular person, place, or thing. These nouns have a specific name/title and need to be capitalized.

For example, in the sentence, "I like Italy a lot more than Ireland." Both Italy and Ireland need to be capitalized, because they are specifically named places.


Grammar Exercise

Now you try! Go through each given sentence and correct/find the proper nouns.

1. My friends, alyssa and jenna are always with me.
2. I have went swimming in both the mediterranean sea and the atlantic ocean before.
3. I always go and visit my grandma joan in florida.
4. My favorite singer is shawn mendes.
5. My favorite place is the museum of modern art in new york city.
6. I really enjoy watching the show wheel of fortune.
7. My car is able to drive all the way to molloy college every day.
8. I have been to italy, puerto rico, dominican republic, and mexico.
9. I always fly on jetblue airways.
10. The newspaper had an article about the olympics that are taking place in south korea right now.

1 comment:

  1. It is very interesting to read about your cheerleading activities. The photos are great too. You have a really thorough entry here.

    ReplyDelete